In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to connect the Intercom integration to sync and import Intercom leads with the contacts in your Sendinblue account. This integration is simple and useful when it comes to keeping your data consistent between both apps.
Before getting started
Make sure you have a Sendinblue account. If you don’t have one, sign up for free here.
Setting up the Intercom Integration
To get your integration up and running you will need to perform the following steps:
- Visit the Integrations Page
- Select the Intercom Leads Integration
- Name the Integration
- Connect your Account
- Configure Intercom
- Map the Fields
- Select a Sendinblue Contact List
- Save and Activate the Integration
1. Visit the Integrations Page
Click on the + icon on the top menu and then click on the Integrations tab, which will display all available integrations for your Sendinblue account.
2. Select the Intercom Leads Integration
Select the Intercom Leads integration from the Integrations page. You will then be directed to the integration creation process.
3. Name the Integration
First, you'll want to enter an integration name as shown below. Then click the Create Integration button bringing you to the Integration Creation page.
4. Connect Your Intercom Account
After naming the integration, the next step is to connect to your Intercom account. Once you select Connect Your Account, you'll be directed to the Intercom login page in a popup window.
Enter your credentials and click Log In. If you enter the correct credentials you will be redirected back to the Integration Creation page, otherwise, in the case of incorrect credentials, you will be required to enter them again.
The Integration Creation page now displays the connected account under the Connect Account tab as shown below. Some of the highlighted buttons are explained below.
Below the account name, you can view the status of the account and the number of integrations using the account.
- Add another account: You can have multiple accounts authenticated but you can choose only one account that will be used in the current integration.
- Remove the account: Removes the connected account.
- Continue: Wraps ups the account part, and moves to the next section.
After adding your account, click the Continue button to move to the next step.
5. Configure Intercom
All your leads in Intercom will be imported to Sendinblue by default. You will only need to check the Opt-In Agreement box in this section. This is a confirmation step that you have permission to send campaigns, emails, newsletters, etc. to your leads. Once the integration runs, the leads in this list will be synced to your Sendinblue account.
When you select a list and check the Opt-In Agreement, click the Continue button.
6. Map the Fields
Once you complete the above step, next is to map the Intercom data fields with the Sendinblue contacts’ attributes as shown in the figure below.
The attribute names are displayed on the left. You need to select the corresponding Intercom lead attributes from the drop-down displayed to map against each attribute. For example, an attribute can be the ‘FIRSTNAME’, you will select the corresponding ‘NAME’ tag from the drop-down menu.
You can leave out fields in the mapping process. These fields will be not be mapped and hence will not appear in the other app. However, it is mandatory to map the Email or SMS field.
Once all fields are mapped, click the Continue button and you will move on to the next step.
7. Select a Sendinblue Contact List
The last step of integration creation is to select the Sendinblue list you want to integrate with. The leads will be imported and synced to this list. You can select from an existing list or create a new one. Once you select a list from the dropdown, the Continue button will become clickable.
To create a new list, visit the Create a List tab.
To create a new list first enter the name of the list and select the Folder. Once you fill the required information, hit the Continue button.
8. Save and Activate the Integration
Once all data and lists are in place you now have to save the integration. You can save and activate the integration by clicking the Save and Activate button.
You can also save your integration but keep it inactive. This will keep the integration as a draft, that can be activated later. The integration will appear in the lists of integrations. This can be accomplished by clicking the Save and Keep Inactive button.
In both cases, you will be redirected to the Integrations page, where you can view the newly created integration.
In general, once an integration is up and running, you’ll be able to sync, add, update or delete leads/contacts in both apps. However, there might be use case limitations specific to each app that you integrate with. For Intercom integration, the following use cases are not supported.
- If you create multiple leads in Intercom, they will not be reflected in Sendinblue.
- Deleting multiple leads in Intercom is another operation that will not reflect in Sendinblue.
- Updating multiple leads in Intercom through a CSV file will not reflect correctly in Sendinblue. In this case, Intercom creates new contacts instead of updating the previous ones, as it requires new emails for updating contacts. These new contacts will not be reflected in Sendinblue as this is an unsupported use-case.
- Unsubscribing multiple leads in Intercom is not possible, so this is not supported.
- Resubscribing single or multiple leads in Intercom is not a provided option. So this case is also unsupported.
- Updating the email attribute of multiple contacts in Sendinblue is not possible. So this will not be part of the integration.
- Contacts created in Sendinblue will not be reflected in Intercom.
Have a question?
If you have a question, feel free to reach our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.