Maintaining your contacts’ details and preferences up-to-date ensures they receive your communication and helps you increase their engagement.
Sendinblue offers a specific type of form to help you collect updated information about your subscribers, such as their details, preferences, and even which lists they want to be subscribed to. We recommend including a link to this form in the footer of all of your emails to help subscribers share their preferences with you.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to create an Update Profile form and customize its design, content, behavior, and fields collected.
You may use these shortcuts to jump to a specific step:
- Creating an Update Profile form
- Customizing form design
- Managing form settings
- Customizing form messages
- Including your form in your newsletter footer
Creating an Update Profile form
Go to the Forms section under Contacts and click on the tab called “Update profile”.
Here, you will find a ready-to-use default Update Profile form which you can already include in your campaigns’ footer.
Or, click on the “Create an update profile form” button to start fresh and customize a new Update Profile form.
Next, give your form a unique name to locate it easily within you forms listing.
Click on “Next” to save your form. You can access it anytime from the “Update profile” tab in the Forms section.
Customizing form design
The next step will be about designing and shaping your form.
Customize form styling
Similarly to subscription forms, you can personalize your update forms by modifying:
- Text fonts, sizes & colors
- Form fields (add as many fields as you want)
- Instruction text (directing users how to subscribe)
- Success message (confirming that a user has successfully updated their information)
Collect your subscribers’ details
Add additional form fields to collect information about your subscribers and/or update existing contact attributes (such as a text, number, date, category, or boolean values).
You may also add a multi-list field to allow subscribers to declare new interests or update their preferences and place them in corresponding lists.
Each new form field will correspond to a contact attribute or contact list:
- Text (contact attribute)
- Number (contact attribute)
- Date (contact attribute)
- Multi-list subscription (contact list)
- Double opt-in (contact attribute)
Customize form layout
You can drag and drop various form elements blocks, including Title, Text, Image & Divider, to your form similar to Form Fields. To further customize your form design, click on the Form Design tab on the left panel of the form editor.
You will be able to customize:
- Background color or image
- Text font style, format, color, size, and alignment of a Title, Text, a Label and Help text
- Form container background, layout, width, alignment, border, opacity, and corners
- Button color, button text font style, size, format and color, button alignment, and corners
- Success/Error alert message color, text font style, format, color, size and alignment, alert message box background color, border color, and corners
Review the mobile view
All SendinBlue forms are designed responsively. You can display your Update Profile form in mobile mode to preview how it will look on your subscribers’ devices. Simply toggle the view from desktop to mobile on the top of the form editor.
Managing form settings
Next, choose whether you want to send your subscribers a confirmation email or simply redirect them to a custom landing page, or to a confirmation page.
This section is the same as for subscription forms, you can learn more about it here.
Customizing form messages
In this section, you will be able to customize all the messages displayed by the form in these cases:
- Success message: successful update of your subscriber’s preferences and details
- Invalid user information: invalid data entered by your subscriber
- Error message: system error occurs while processing a subscriber’s update
- Empty field: a required field is not completed by the subscriber
Including your form in your newsletter footer
Now that your Update Profile form is ready to use, it may be added to your newsletter.
Click on Done and navigate to the Campaigns section.
Or, you can use the shortcut by clicking on the “email campaigns” link.
Create or select a newsletter to modify
Choose the campaign you want to edit or create a new one. In our example, we will create a new campaign.
To customize which Update Profile form link is inserted in your campaign footer, go to the dropdown list under “Use a custom update profile form” and select the form of your choice.
After moving to the design step you will notice an additional link in your campaign’s footer.
The “Update your preferences” link is unique to each subscriber and campaign. It will automatically be pre-filled with data of each of your subscribers receiving your email.
Once you have chosen an update preferences form, send yourself a test email to make sure that your links are working properly.
Have a question?
If you have a question, feel free to reach our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.