In this tutorial, you'll learn how to set up the plugin to seamlessly transfer data between your OpenCart store and your SendinBlue account. With the integration, you'll be able to:
- Synchronize opt-in customers and their data upon standard registration and checkout registration
- Map OpenCart customer default fields with SendinBlue contact attributes
- Easily create an abandoned cart workflow within SendinBlue as cart data is automatically transferred
- Improve your deliverability by sending transactional emails through SendinBlue SMTP
- Override OpenCart notification emails and use a template created with SendinBlue drag & drop responsive design email builder
Before getting started
You will need to gather the following information prior to installation and use:
- SendinBlue account credentials. If you don't have one, sign up for free.
- SendinBlue API v3 key following the instructions here.
- OpenCart website admin panel access
To utilize all extension features, please ensure that your SendinBlue account has been validated and you are able to send emails from the SendinBlue Campaigns and Transactional platforms.
Installing the extension
- Download the SendinBlue extension from the OpenCart Marketplace.
- Unzip the installation archive to a folder on your computer
- Download and install the FileZilla Client
- Log in to your cPanel
- Click on FTP Accounts cPanel FTP Accounts
- In the "Add FTP Account" form fill in a username and password and click "Create FTP Account"
Next, navigate to your store admin then click on Extensions > Modules > SendinBlue > Install. Enter your SendinBlue API v3 key then Save.
Now that you’ve successfully connected your OpenCart store with your SendinBlue account, you can sync your contacts with SendinBlue.
Synchronizing your contacts
1. Enabling contact synchronization
Go to the Contacts Manager tab.
Once you reach this tab, you’re presented with a number of options for synchronizing your contacts. Let's go through them step by step. For the first option "Use SendinBlue to manage your contacts?", choose Yes to automatically synchronize your new subscribers.
All the lists on your SendinBlue account will be displayed, check the one(s) where your want your subscribers to be added to.
Orders and their data will also be automatically synchronized to your SendinBlue account as transactional attributes:
- ORDER_ID > ID of the order
- ORDER_DATE > date of the order
- ORDER_PRICE > amount of the order
2. Mapping your contact attributes
For the second option "Enable Attribute Mapping?", choose Yes to match the default OpenCart Attributes with your SendinBlue attributes.
The attributes that can be synchronized are:
- firstname > First name of the customer
- lastname > Last name of the customer
- telephone > Telephone number of the customer
- fax > Fax number of the customer
- payment_company > Company name of the customer
- payment_address_1 > Billing address line 1
- payment_address_2 > Billing address line 2
- payment_city > Billing city
- payment_postcode > Billing postcode
- payment_country > Billing country
- payment_zone > Billing region
- payment_zone_code > Billing region code (if applicable) of the customer
Click on the save button at the top right.
3. Importing old data
There are three buttons to import existing data:
- Sync Existing Customers > When you click on this button, all the customers who have subscribed to receive your newsletter will be added to the SendinBlue list(s) you have chosen. If you have enabled mapping of attributes, their data will also be synchronized on SendinBlue.
- Sync Existing Orders > When you click on this button, the orders of all the customers who have subscribed to receive your newsletter will be added to the SendinBlue list(s) you have chosen.
- Sync Contacts From SendinBlue > When you click on this button, contacts that are blacklisted on your SendinBlue account will be blacklisted on your OpenCart store.
Setting up marketing automation
1. Installing the marketing automation tracker
In just a click, you can enable Marketing Automation on your website and track your contacts' activity on your website. This is very easy to do: check the "Activate marketing automation through SendinBlue" and click on the Save button at the top right.
Once Marketing Automation is enabled and functioning properly, you will find these logs in your SendinBlue account under Automation > Logs > Event logs:
- track events
2. Creating an abandoned cart workflow
The plugin automatically creates 3 track events that can be used to create an abandoned cart automation workflow:
- cart_created is passed when an item is added to the cart by an identified contact. When the cart is updated, updated data will be passed in this event as well.
- cart_deleted is passed when a cart is emptied
- order_completed is passed when the order has been made
Learn how to create an abandoned cart email for OpenCart customers with this tutorial.
Configuring transactional emails
Go to the Transactional Emails tab to set up your transactional emails.
1. Sending transactional emails
Selecting "Yes" to activate SendinBlue SMTP, your transactional emails (order confirmations, password resets, etc.) will be sent via the SendinBlue SMTP. Your password can be found in your SendinBlue account, under the SMTP tab. You must make sure that your SMTP account has been activated.
You can send a test email thanks to the field "Send email test From/To". This test email will appear in the transactional logs of your SendinBlue account.
2. Setting up email confirmation emails
To use a SendinBlue template for your confirmation emails, you have to make sure that emails are sent through SendinBlue SMTP.
To welcome your new subscribers, you have 3 options.
- No confirmation > With this option, subscribers will be added to the list(s) you've selected under the Contacts Manager tab without any confirmation email.
- Simple confirmation > With this option, subscribers will be added to the list(s) you've selected and will receive a confirmation email. Select a SendinBlue template in the dropdown list.
- Double opt-in confirmation > With this option, subscribers will be added to the list(s) you've selected and will receive a confirmation email. Select a SendinBlue template in the dropdown list. Check the "Send a final confirmation email" box if you want to send another email after a new subscriber has clicked on the confirmation email. We recommend using a double opt-in form.
If you want to redirect your contact to a landing page or your website, check the "Redirect URL after clicking in the validation email" box. If you want to redirect to a landing page created on SendinBlue, paste the URL you get after publishing your landing page.
3. Setting up notification emails
You can override OpenCart notification templates with SendinBlue templates. Note that it is not possible to personalize the templates with variables such as order number, order price, shipping status etc. Below is the list of notifications that can be overridden.
- Canceled Reversal
- Recover Abandoned Carts with OpenCart: Create an Email Template
- Recover Abandoned Carts with OpenCart: Send the Recovery Email