This article explains how to create a GDPR-compliant subscription form for collecting contacts' mobile numbers to send SMS / text messages. To see the steps you should follow to reconfirm your contacts' consent, click here.
Before getting started
Your subscription form should:
- be explicit about the type of data collected and the reason why it is collected. If data is to be used for different purposes, specific consent is required for each one (promotional SMS / text message, automation, etc.)
- add a mandatory checkbox to submit the form
The multi-list subscription feature enables you to create GDPR-compliant forms.
1. Identifying your data usage
If you want to ask your future contacts’ consent to send them promotional SMS and SMS based on the use of their data, then you need to create three different lists.
- A subscription list that will be linked to the form and will contain all contacts who have submitted the form. Here, we have called it the “GDPR - all SMS contacts”
- A “promotional SMS” list
- An “SMS based on my data” list
Note that the names given to your “promotional SMS” and “SMS based on my data use” lists will be visible on the subscription form.
2. Creating your form
Follow the tutorial Adding multi-list subscriptions to your forms to create your form.
Under the “label name”, we recommend you explicitly ask for your contacts’ consent. For example, “I agree to receive:”
Then select the “promotional SMS” list and click on Add.
Repeat the same process to add the “SMS based on my data use” list.
We recommend you select “Required fields” so that your contact will have to check a box to submit the form.
Click on Add.
At the bottom of the page, select the “GDPR - all SMS contacts” subscription list.
Click on Save.
From now on, your form will add new contacts to the “GDPR - all SMS contacts” list and the lists based on their choices.