In this article, we will explain how to create an email subscription form and make sure it is GDPR-compliant.
Good to know
Your email subscription form must:
- be explicit about the type of data collected and the reason why it is collected. If data is to be used for different purposes, specific consent is required for each one (e.g. informative or promotional emails);
- add a mandatory checkbox to submit the form.
Step 1: Create 3 contacts lists
To collect your contacts' explicit consent to send them promotional emails and emails based on the use of their data, you need to create three different lists:
- A master list that will be linked to the form and that will contain all contacts who have submitted the form. Here, we have called it the “GDPR - all email contacts” list.
- A list that will contain all contacts who have given their consent to receive promotional emails. Here, we have called it the “Promotional emails” list.
- A list that will contain all contacts who have given their consent to receive emails based on the use of their data. Here, we have called it the “Emails based on my data” list.
Step 2: Create your email subscription form
To create your email subscription form, check our dedicated series of articles:
- Create a subscription form - Introduction to subscription forms
- Create a subscription form - Part 1: Set up your subscription form
- Create a subscription form - Part 2: Design your subscription form
- Create a subscription form - Part 3: Select your list
- Create a subscription form - Part 4: Add a double opt-in confirmation to your form
Enable the GDPR fields
To include a GDPR field and a GDPR declaration in your email subscription form, you can:
- Enable the Enable GDPR fields option in the setup of your form, or
- Manually drag and drop the GDPR field and GDPR Declaration blocks in your form.
Enable the multi-list subscription option
The multi-list subscription option enables you to create GDPR-compliant forms by allowing your contacts to choose the type of emails they want to receive.
To enable the multi-list subscription option:
- Drag & drop the Multi-list subscription field from the left panel of the form editor to your form.
- From the Select your lists dropdown on the left panel, select the 2 lists you previously created that should be displayed in the form.
- Click on Apply.
- Modify the Label name to a sentence that explicitly asks for your contacts’ consent, e.g. “I agree to receive:”, by changing the text directly within the form editor.
- Optional: modify the name of your lists by changing the text directly within the form editor.
- Make sure the Required field option is enabled so that your contact will have to check a box to submit the form.
Step 3: Select your master list
In the Lists section, select the master list you previously created that will store all the contacts who submitted your email subscription form.
⏩ What's next?
- Create a GDPR-compliant SMS subscription form
- How to reconfirm for your contacts’ consent to ensure GDPR compliance
🤔 Have a question?
If you have a question, feel free to contact our support team by creating a ticket from your account. If you don't have an account yet, you can contact us here.