You can dynamically customize your transactional emails with data specific to each recipients using Sendinblue Template Language. Sendinblue Template Language allows you to insert placeholders into your email templates that are replaced by contact-specific data at the time the email is sent. More than just substitutions of text, our Template Language also supports conditions, loops, and filters.
Good to know
- Transactional parameters placeholders and dynamic lists can only be used in transactional emails sent through an API call or through an Automation workflow triggered by an event.
Placeholders are tags that are added in your email templates and replaced with contact-specific data when the transactional email is sent. This data can be:
- Contact attributes - the name, address, or even favorite color of your contact
- Transactional parameters - information about the products purchased or left in a cart
- Predefined placeholders - unsubscribe link, update profile form link, timestamp, etc.
➡️ Learn how to insert placeholders in your email templates by clicking the dedicated links above.
Sendinblue uses filters together with placeholders to provide additional functionality to your emails. For example, you can set up default values in case a contact attribute is empty or structure the format of words, numbers, and dates.
➡️ Learn how to use filters in Modify the formatting of your placeholder with filters.
Conditions allow you to manage how content is displayed in your emails according to specific criteria. For example, you can:
- Personalize the heading of your email and use a different tone according to the age of your contacts.
- Personalize content blocks to display different products or offers according to specific criteria (for example, a special discount for your loyal clients, according to their preferences etc.).
- Personalize content blocks to suit different reading devices and display certain elements only on smartphones or desktop computers.
This logic is established by applying tags around or within your content blocks.
Block visibility / Show or hide block (
Our Block visibility / Show or hide block option enables you to display content blocks according to different criteria. For example, "if the contact's attribute for favorite color is blue", then show the content with the blue t-shirt item.
The language that is used for this feature is called
if conditions, they can be used manually to create more complex scenarios.
➡️ Dedicated articles:
- Show or hide blocks based on contact attributes
- Show or hide blocks based on transactional parameters
- Show or hide blocks based on repeatable blocks
Repeat block / Dynamic list (
Our Dynamic list option, now called Repeat block, enables you to loop or iterate over items in a sequence and display them as a list in your email. This tag is very powerful when combined with your transactional parameters and is also helpful when you are designing an email template to hold an unknown number of items in a list.
For example below, a list of the product name followed by the product price for everything the client has purchased. This list will adapt according to the purchase or each client.
for tag is the language used to repeat blocks. The procedure is explained in our article Advanced - Repeat a block of items using for-loops.
➡️ Dedicated article: Repeat a block of items in your emails