Analyzing the results of your email campaigns can be tricky. What does your open rate mean? Is your content encouraging clicks? Do you have a high unsubscription rate? No need to panic, we are here to share some benchmarks and advice!
We analyzed the email campaigns sent with Sendinblue to understand the most relevant average metrics. Click here to download our Email Marketing Industry Benchmark Ebook.
We studied approximately 7,500 email campaigns sent by all 691 Sendinblue Enterprise Plan customers over 12 months. This review provided the average metrics for an email campaign.
Let’s start with a quick summary of key indicators to mesure the success of an email:
- Open rate: percentage of recipients who have opened an email divided by number
of emails delivered
- Click rate: percentage of recipients who have clicked an email divided by number
of emails delivered
- Click-Through-Rate (CTR): percentage of recipients who clicked a link after opening an email
- Unsubscription rate: percentage of recipients who have unsubscribed from the campaign or emailing list via the unsubscription link
- Bounce rate: percentage of failed deliveries in relation to the total number of recipients
The table below shows the average email send metrics for users in our study:
Next, we segmented these users into industry verticals. The chart below shows the results of our analysis:
Best practices across all industries
Over the year, the activity of the recipients and the sending behaviour across all industries are strongly influenced by public holidays, events and holiday periods. Each industry must optimize their marketing plan by focusing on certain periods of the year. For example, we identified that, as the summer holidays approach, recipients tend to become more active and engaged in communications. The second quarter becomes the best time for industries such as entertainment, travel/leisure, networking and fashion/beauty to increase the sending frequency of their email campaigns.
Marketing automation allows you to easily design customer journeys by building custom scenarios and sending campaigns based on your contacts' behavior.
Here are a few benefits you can get from using marketing automation:
- Avoid mass emailing and increase your open and click rates by segmenting your contacts
- Reward your contacts and increase their level of engagement to create a long lasting relationship with your customers by sending them offers on special occasions
Personalize your campaigns
Use the data and insights about your contact base to write emails that are relevant to your audience.
When sending email campaigns, you should always:
- Individualize your sender by letting your contact know who you are
- Optimize your subject line by only including relevant information
- Use CTA and appropriate linguistic style by using direct speech and adapting your language to your audience
- Structure your content by adding the core of the campaign in the directly visible area of the email
Adjust your sending time
To make sure you maximise your open and click rates, you must improve the sending time of your campaigns. For example, we identified that, for the B2B market, it is better to send emails on Mondays and Tuesdays, early in the morning or after lunch break, in order to spark your recipients' interest.
You can also use our SendInTime feature to calculate the perfect time for you to send your emails in order to get the best performance.
Need more information on how to get top rates? Click here to download our Email Marketing Industry Benchmark Ebook.