In this article, we will see what opt-in contacts mean in the email marketing industry and why you should pay attention to. Email marketing is one of the most effective marketing channels when used correctly. It is a personal channel and so are our email inboxes. Due to this most countries have strict guidelines about which email addresses are you allowed to have on your marketing list.
Introduction to opt-in contacts
Opt-in contacts are those who:
- Explicitly requested to receive emails about your brand or organization
- Made this request within the last two years
- Are expecting to hear from you about a particular topic.
Sendinblue users can ONLY upload opt-in contacts to their account. Why? Because
- it’s the right thing to do!
- And because campaigns sent to opt-in contacts are proven to provide the best results!
Opt-in contacts checklist
Still not sure if your contacts are opt-in? Use this quick checklist to determine if it’s safe to upload your contacts to Sendinblue:
Contacts you CAN import
Contacts you CANNOT import
Tips to have your emails received, opened, and clicked
Follow these three steps to build a good sending reputation and reach the inbox!
- Only upload email addresses that you are certain are spelled correctly: If you collected email addresses using a handwritten form, be very careful to avoid typos and consider using a list cleaning service to check for invalid email addresses before uploading contacts to Sendinblue. Sending campaigns to email addresses that don’t exist is a quick way to build a poor reputation with ISPs like Gmail, Yahoo, and AOL.
- Only upload contacts that explicitly agreed to receive marketing emails from your brand: If contacts are expecting to hear from you, they will probably open your email and are less likely to mark your message as spam.
- Send campaigns when and how your contacts are expecting to receive them: Very simply, your emails should reflect your subscription offer. If your contacts subscribed to receive weekly deals, it’s important to send sales or coupon content once per week. When contacts receive campaigns that they want, they’re very likely to act on them, and everyone wins.
Building a recent and accurate opt-in contact database is essential to a successful email marketing program. Not only does it help you reach the inbox, but you’ll also build a positive relationship with your customers when you do.