In this article, we will explain what opt-in contacts mean in the email, SMS, and WhatsApp marketing industries, and why you should pay attention to them.
Emails, SMS, and WhatsApp are some of the most effective marketing channels when used correctly. They are personal channels, and so are our email inboxes and phones. Due to this most countries have strict guidelines about which email addresses and phone numbers you are allowed to have on your marketing list.
What are opt-in contacts?
Sendinblue users can ONLY upload opt-in contacts to their accounts. Why? Because it’s the right thing to do, and because campaigns sent to opt-in contacts are proven to provide the best results!
Opt-in contacts are those who:
- Explicitly requested to receive emails, SMS messages, or WhatsApp messages about your business or organization.
- Made this request within the last two years.
- Are expecting to hear from you about a particular topic.
For email marketing
Not sure if your contacts are opt-in for email marketing? Use this checklist to determine if it’s safe to upload your contacts to Sendinblue:
Contacts you CAN import
Contacts you CAN NOT import
For SMS marketing
For SMS marketing, contacts need to be 100% opt-in with an explicit consent given via an SMS subscription form.
For WhatsApp marketing
For WhatsApp marketing, contacts need to be 100% opt-in with an explicit consent given via:
- In a WhatsApp thread
- In a form
- By phone (using an interactive voice response (IVR) flow)
- In-person or on paper (customers can sign a physical document to opt-in)
To learn more, check our dedicated article Collect your contacts' opt-in for WhatsApp.