In this article, we will explain how to exclude blocklisted contacts from receiving marketing emails sent through an Automation workflow.
Campaigns and Automation have two separate blocklists, which means when a contact unsubcribes from your marketing email campaigns, they can still receive your emails sent from an Automation workflow (and vice-versa).
If you want to send a marketing email to your contacts based on their behavior on your website (page visits, button clicked, etc.), you will have to send these emails through an Automation workflow. To make sure you don't send these marketing emails to contacts who unsubscribed from receiving your campaigns, you must apply a filter to your workflow to exclude blocklisted contacts from entering it.
Before you start
- To learn more about creating an Automation workflow, read Creating a custom Automation workflow and Using an Automation workflow template.
- To learn more about creating a search filter and applying it to a workflow, take a look at our dedicated articles.
Create a search filter for blocklisted contacts
Create a search filter that includes all contacts blocklisted from your email campaigns.
- Go to Contacts.
- Click Advanced Search & Segmentation.
- In Search Conditions, select:
- Click Save filter.
- Name the filter and click Add.
You will now be able to select this search filter from your workflow.
Apply the filter to your workflow
After creating the search filter for blocklisted contacts, you will need to apply it to an Automation workflow.
To apply the filter to your workflow:
- Go to Automation.
- Create a new workflow.
- Add an entry point to your workflow by clicking Add an entry point.
- Set up your entry point and click OK.
- Add a new step to your workflow by clicking the + sign below the entry point.
- Select If/Else conditions > Contact details > Contact filter conditions.
- Select the filter you just created and click OK.
Two new branches will appear in your workflow: Yes and No.
Set up the rest of your workflow in the No branch
The Yes and No branches of our search filter follow the following logic:
- Yes means the contact matches the search filter: they are blocklisted. You should not send them any marketing emails.
- No means the contact does not match the search filter: they are not blocklisted. You can send them marketing emails.
To only include non-blocklisted contacts, you must set up the rest of your workflow in the No branch:
- Below the No branch, click the + sign
- Select the action you want to add to your workflow.
- Set up your action and click OK.
You can then add as many additional steps as necessary, always in the No branch.
⏩ What's next?
🤔 Have a question?
If you have a question, feel free to contact our support team by creating a ticket from your account. If you don't have an account yet, you can contact us here.