Get ready! It's time to learn how to to create a SMS campaign in 3 easy steps.
Before you start
- Make sure that the contacts you would like to send your SMS campaign have a mobile number saved in your Sendinblue database.
- The mobile number must be saved in the column (attribute) labeled as SMS. If your contacts are located outside of the United States, their mobile number must include the appropriate country code prefix.
- For more information on how to create an SMS List, please read this tutorial: Create a list for your SMS campaigns.
Step 1: Create Your Message
To get started with your SMS campaign:
- Go to the Campaigns tab,
- Select SMS
- Click on Create a SMS Campaign.
- Enter the name of your campaign. This name will only be visible to you (not your recipients).
- Personalize the name of the sender using up to 11 characters.
- Add the content of your message in the SMS Message field. An SMS message can have up to 160 characters including 'space' and 'enter'.
For SMS messages above 160 characters, the length of 1 SMS message changes to 153 characters. For example, if your message has 320 characters, your campaign will be sent as 3 SMS messages (153+153+14 characters).
- Once your message has been created, you can send an SMS test (if desired).
The SMS test will be deducted from your SMS credits. Sending a test is optional and not required to send your campaign.
🇺🇸 Notes for SMS sent to the US:
- To comply with applicable US laws, always include this phrase in your first SMS message to contacts in the US:
[Your Company Name] Alerts. [#] msg/mo. Reply HELP for help, STOP to cancel. Msg&Data rates may apply. Replace [Your Company Name] with your company name and replace [#] with the number of SMS messages you expect to send to your contacts each month.
- It is not recommended to include URL shorteners (like bit.ly or tinyurl) in SMS campaigns sent to US contacts. This may affect the deliverability of your campaigns and result in hard bounces.
🇬🇧 Note for SMS sent to the UK: there is no specific restriction.
🇲🇾 Note for SMS sent to Malaysia: Each SMS message has a 153-characters limit. Due to mandatory regulations by their local government, RM0.00 will always be added to the message body.
Step 2: Choose Your Recipients
In this step, you can choose the list(s) of contacts that you wish to send your SMS campaign to.
You can also "Apply a Filter" or an "Exclusion List" to target a specific segment of contacts.
Reminder: The list(s) that you choose must include your contacts' mobile number in the SMS field. If your contacts are located outside of the United States, their mobile number must include the appropriate country code prefix.
Step 3: Schedule Your Campaign
You can review your campaign and customisations before scheduling your campaign. Next, choose whether to send your campaign immediately, or schedule a date and a time to launch it in the future.
Please note that mobile carriers do not allow sending SMS marketing messages between the hours of 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. on Sundays and holidays. Be respectful of your contacts and avoid sending SMS marketing messages late in evening.