Choosing a sender for your newsletter is an important step. The sender is visible in your sent email and allows your contacts to recognize you easily. This is what makes your recipients feel confident about opening your newsletter. Choosing a sender is a twofold process: you need to select a name (e.g. John) and an email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). You can create multiple senders. There are several instances where you will be asked to create or choose a sender:
- When you subscribe to SendinBlue, you have to verify your account email address. Once it has been verified, it can be used as a sender. It cannot be deleted but you can, of course, add new ones.
- When you create an email campaign, you will be asked to choose a sender.
- To configure one or more senders, you can go to Your senders via:
- the Senders menu in the My account menu
- the Advanced settings page in the marketing application
1/ Activating a sender when you create your SendinBlue account
When you create a SendinBlue account, you will be asked for your email address and the name of your company. This will be your first sender. You can change this later if needed. When you create your account, you will be redirected to the SendinBlue dashboard. A banner will appear asking you to verify your email address.
An email will be sent to you, asking you to verify your email address. In this email you will find a link that you can click on to confirm your ID. If you have not received this email, you can ask for it to be resent by clicking on the link in the blue banner.
2/ Creating and editing a sender
2.1/ Creating a new sender
You can add multiple senders and edit them. Go to:
- or on the Settings tab, the cog at the top right of the page. In Your senders, click on Configure.
On this page you can access all of the senders you have configured. In the list, you can see whether a sender is
- Verified, and can be used for your email campaigns
- Non-verified, as you have not yet confirmed the sender by clicking on the link in the confirmation email.
To add a new sender, click on Add a sender.
You should enter:
- The name of the sender: this is the name your subscribers will see in their inbox (e.g. John)
- The sender's email address: the address your recipients will see in their inbox (e.g. email@example.com)
Now click on Save. A pop-up window will then appear to indicate that an email has been sent to the inbox of the address you selected.
Go to your inbox and select the email you just received. If you did not receive it, you can Resend the verification email. In the confirmation email, click on the button Activate your sender.
Until you confirm your email address, the sender’s status will be Non-verified and you won't be able to use it for sending emails.
Once you have clicked on the confirmation link, you will be redirected to the Your senders page. Note that the sender's status changes to “Verified”.
2.2/ Deleting an existing sender
To delete an existing sender on the Your senders page, you just have to click on Manage for the sender you want to delete. Then click on Delete.
Important: senders whose email addresses are the same as the one used to create your account cannot be deleted.
2.3/ Editing an existing sender (only for dedicated IP users)
To edit a sender on the Your senders page, you just have to click on Manage for the sender you want to edit. You can then edit or delete the sender. If you click on Edit, you can change the load allocation for this sender in your IP pool. Click on Save to confirm.
3/ Activating a domain
Advanced users can activate their domain name with SendinBlue. This allows you to add as many senders as you want with this domain name without the need to confirm the email address each time (e.g. if your domain name is yourdomain.com, you could add firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, etc.). In the Domains tab on the Senders & IP page, click on Add a new domain.
A pop-up window will then appear. Enter your domain name, e.g. yourdomain.com. When you click on Save, a configuration pop-up will appear.
Then you need to choose one of the following methods to verify the domain name:
- Verify your domain by hosting an HTML file
- In the root directory, you should use an FTP solution (such as Filezilla) to enter the name of an HTML file shown on SendinBlue
- Verify your domain via a DNS entry with your host
- Go to your host
- Open the DNS folder and add the verification code requested
- Verify your domain by sending an email to the administrator:
- Click on "Send an email" and a pop-up window will then appear to confirm that an email has been sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox.
- Go to your inbox and select the email you just received. If you did not receive anything, you can Resend the verification email.
- In the confirmation email, click on the Verify your domain button.
Once you have done this, SendinBlue will automatically verify your domain name.
You can now add as many senders as you want on this domain without having to verify each address with a confirmation email. You just have to click on Add a sender then create a sender with the verified domain.This sender will be automatically verified. Advanced users can also modify the domain name to change the technical signature in their email headers (DKIM): click here to find out more. By default, the email is signed with the domain generated by SendinBlue. This signature is virtually invisible to your recipients, and is really just a way for advanced users to optimize the available technology.
4/ Choosing a sender for an email campaign
Once you have configured a sender, you can use this sender for your email campaigns. To do this, create an email campaign and select your preconfigured sender. Go to Sender Email to select your chosen email address. If you want to add a new one or if you have not yet configured the sender, click on Add a new sender.