In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to create your subscription form in just a few clicks. You will be able to:
- customize the form as you see fit
- choose the form that best suits you
1. Creating a registration form
Navigate to the tab API & Integration.
Now click to Manage your forms.
Now let’s choose + Create a new subscription form.
We can achieve a great level of personalization by modifying:
- Text Fonts, Sizes & Colors
- Instruction Text (directing users how to unsubscribe)
- Success Message (confirming that a user has successfully unsubscribed)
- Fields (add as many fields as you want)
To protect you from spam, we activate a Captcha to your form by default. To configure the Captcha that matches your website, go to this site.
Once this has been set up, enter the sitekey in the field provided in your SendinBlue form.
After creating the form, you can also directly edit the HTML code if you want to go further. You can find this code in the "Share" tab. Here is an example of personalization:
2. Sign-up settings
This section is where you can choose what type of confirmation message your subscribers will receive (if any).
2.1 No confirmation Choose this option if you do not want SendinBlue to send a confirmation email once the person has subscribed.
2.2 Simple confirmation Choose this option if you want SendinBlue to send a confirmation email to a new subscriber confirming that they will now receive your emails. Next, select the SMTP template you would like the system to use when sending the confirmation. The default template, titled "Default Template – Single Confirmation", is available and you can customize it or create another template confirmation.
Note: To create a new SMTP template, navigate to Campaigns within the Email & SMS Campaigns area. In the drop down menu, select SMTP Templates and then +Create a Template. If you create a new SMTP template, be sure to activate it so that it will appear as an option when setting up a form with Simple Confirmation.
2.3 Double Opt-in Confirmation The double opt-in subscription process requires the subscriber to complete two steps:
- Your new subscriber enters their email address into your SendinBlue sign-up form.
- The subscriber must click the link in a confirmation email to be added to your SendinBlue email list.
The double opt-in confirmation feature allows subscribers to verify that they want to receive your emails. This feature eliminates accidental subscriptions and potential annoyances. Advantages of double opt-in confirmation:
- For your contacts:
- Allows them to verify they didn’t make a mistake in registering.
- For you:
- You have the assurance of knowing a subscriber is truly interested in receiving your emails.
- Since the subscriber twice confirmed their email address, you drastically reduce the number of hard bounces (invalid email addresses) in your campaigns.
- You have protection against malicious competitors who may provide you with phony email addresses to damage your reputation.
- You remain compliant with laws and regulations in some countries: the double opt-in is mandatory in several countries, including Germany.
The confirmation email must be one of your SMTP templates and include double opt-in formatting (details below). You can use:
- The default template we provide, "Default template - Double optin confirmation"
- Or a new template that you create.
a. Default Template The default template is simply called "Default template - Double optin confirmation"
. You can find and modify it in your SMTP templates.
b. Custom Template You also have the ability to create or select your own template for the confirmation email. To do this, go to SMTP Templates and click "Create a Template".
- Create your template using one of the different newsletter editors.
- Next, edit the template as desired and insert this exact text as the double opt-in link: http://[DOUBLEOPTIN]
- Finally, save and activate the template, and return to your subscription form.
c. Redirect URL (optional) Use this tool if you want your subscriber to be redirected to a specific page (i.e. a confirmation page or your website homepage) after registering.
d. Final Confirmation Email (optional) Use this tool if you want your subscriber to receive a final confirmation email after he have completed the double opt-in process. As with the other confirmation emails, the default template is simply called “Default template - Final Confirmation”. You can find and modify it in your SMTP templates.
e. Saving Contacts Before saving your double opt-in subscription form, you'll be required to select the list that new subscribers will be added to. This will automatically create a "Temporary Double Opt-in" list to save the contact information of the subscribers who have not yet completed the second step of the double opt-in process (confirming their email addresses).
Your SendinBlue contact database will also be updated to include a new attribute (column) labeled "Double_opt -in". Contacts who are added via double opt-in will have a value of "Yes" within this column. If the contact subscribed through another type of form, this field value will be "No". If you did not use a SendinBlue subscription form to add contacts to your database, this field will be blank.
3. Advanced settings
This section is where you can choose what type of success message your subscribers will receive (if any). URL forwarding allows you to automatically redirect the user to a specific page after they have successfully completed the subscription form. For example, you may redirect your new subscriber to a landing page or to your website homepage. Pre-populating form fields is possible when your form is sent by email or shared by URL. It can be helpful to your users to fill in the form with sample information. For example, if you want to pre-populate the ‘Email’ field, you can add “/firstname.lastname@example.org” to the end of your form URL. You can also pre-populate other fields on the form by following the same format and adding additional modifiers to the form URL: /field-name/sample text/.
4. List selection and registration form integration
Next, select the list (or lists) where you will place the new contacts.
After Saving, click on the Share tab to get the code for integrating the form into your website. There are three types of codes:
- Iframe code: easy to integrate, this code is a kind of mini-page you have to paste onto your website.
- HTML code: this code is much more customizable, with Ajax animation for messages.
Finally, just paste the code on your website, and the form will appear!